These thumb print necklaces are very easy to make & are a very cute keepsake for any Mother, Father, Grandma, Aunty etc and you can make them for any occasion – Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas or just to say I love you.
We have worked with this homemade clay before. It’s a very soft dough and once dried is similar in appearance to porcelain. It is a lovely bright white colour & is very easy to work with. Check out our
1/2 cup Cornflour
1 cup Bicarbonate soda
3/4 cup of water
Place all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and combine using a whisk. The liquid will resemble runny cream. Stir continually over medium heat using a wooden spoon until it starts to thicken and resemble a thick mashed potato. Tip the dough onto baking paper, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to cool.
1. Take a small glob of the clay
2. Roll the clay into a ball (by the way, I didn’t ask Master L to pose like this…it’s all him & his future Oscar rehearsal lol).
3. Flatten your ball then make a hole for a ribbon/string to go through after it is baked with a BBQ skewer (or straw).
4. Imprint your child’s thumbprints into the dough. Print their right thumb on the left side and their left thumb on the right side to form your heart.
5. Your finished product is ready for the oven.
Place your little treasure onto a drying rack (cake cooling rack) and back in the oven on the lowest setting for approximately 2 hours – just to make sure they are completely dry. The drying racks allow them to dry evenly including underneath.
Once they are dry, take them out of the oven and allow to cool completely. Then paint your heart. You could add glitter to your paint for a bit of ‘bling’ too if you like.
Then thread your pendant through your ribbon or string (you could also use some ‘pre-made necklace’ which I have seen at my local craft shop). If you like, you could also get the kids to thread on beads etc but we stuck with ‘simple’ on this one.
Any left over clay makes for a lot of fun play too!
You can see the finished necklaces below modelled by my beautiful babies.
I’m sure anyone would be delighted to receive this very special keepsake…I know I would..hint, hint Daddy!